Unfortunately applications for this placement are now closed.
The Department for Education would like to host PhD students in their Data Science Lab for 3-4 month placements.
The projects they are offering include:
- Build a tool to predict schools’ KS2 results a year in advance
- Mining insight from schools’ spending data
- Which schools have the happiest pupils?
- Visualise the pathways that disadvantaged groups take through education and employment.
For more information on each project, please read the file below:
How to apply:
- Contact your PhD supervisor/s and the SWDTP Collaboration Facilitator to discuss funding options and other practicalities such as securing an extension for your PhD
- Send the following details to Rob by 3pm on the 3rd May
- Your name
- Which project you’d like to work on
- Your availability for the placement (preferred start date and duration)
- Your CV
CVs will be collated and sent to DfE on the 8th May, for DFE to consider/decide. At that point, they may wish to hold brief telephone discussions/interviews with interested candidates.
Note: the successful secondees will have to have security clearance, which usually takes at least 8 weeks. If a decision is made in mid-May, the earliest time for the secondment to start might be mid-July, but could well be later.
We think that DFE will have an ongoing need and interest in PhD placements beyond this first wave, particularly if this first effort is successful. You may want to bear this in mind if you may be interested but can’t respond to this call.