- This event has passed.
How to write your Methodology Chapter- NCRM Training
September 4, 2019
This workshop aims to give participants a range of practical approaches they can adopt when writing about methodology in the social sciences, with a particular focus on writing a PhD methodology chapter. Using a range of exercises throughout, the course focuses on 20 or so writing strategies and thought experiments designed to provide more clarity and power to the often-difficult challenge of writing about methods. The course also looks at common mistakes and how to avoid them when writing about methods. The focus throughout is on building confidence and increasing our repertoire of writing strategies and skills.
The course covers:
- A range of practical writing strategies for handling methodology
- The challenges of writing a PhD methodology chapter or a methods section in a research paper
- Writing for qualitative and quantitative research approaches
- Understanding different audiences and the needs of different academic markets
By the end of the course participants will:
- Better understand who and what ‘methodology writing’ is for
- Know the differences and similarities between PhD methods chapters, research paper methods sections and methods books
- Understand and reflect on 20+ principles (or starting points) of best practice in methodology writing
- Focus writing on audience needs and expectations
- Be aware of common mistakes and misunderstandings and so avoid them
- Reflect on the relationship between methodology writing and other parts of your manuscript
- To develop learning and best practice through exercises and examples
PhD students, post-docs and junior researchers in the social sciences working on their doctoral theses or supervising doctoral students.