- This event has passed.
NCRM: Introduction to QGIS: Spatial Data and Spatial Analysis
February 18, 2020 @ 9:00 am - February 19, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
In this two day course you will learn what GIS is, how it works and how you can use it to create maps and perform spatial analysis. We assume no prior knowledge of GIS and you will learn how to get data into the GIS, how to produce maps using your own data and what you can and cannot do with spatial data. You will also learn how to work with a variety of different data sources and types (including XY coordinate data and address or postcode data) and using spatial overlays, point in polygon analysis and spatial joins.
The course covers:
- What is GIS and spatial data?
- How to classify data for a choropleth map
- How to create a publication ready map
- How to work with different data sources including XY coordinate and postcode data
- Using attribute and spatial joins
- Using spatial overlays and spatial analysis
- How to apply these skills to your own data
By the end of the course participants will:
- Be able to set up QGIS and add data
- Know how to classify data for a choropleth map
- Be able to join tabular data to spatial data
- Designing and producing a publication ready map in QGIS
- Understand how to import a range of data types into QGIS
- Be able to locate and open a range of GIS data sets
- Know how to apply GIS analysis tools including spatial overlays and point in polygon.
- Be confident at applying the skills to their own data
This course is ideal for anyone who wishes to use spatial data in their role. This includes students, academic, government & other public sector researchers who have data with some spatial information (e.g. address, postcode, etc.) which they wish to show on a map. This course is also suitable for those who wish to have an overview of what GIS and spatial data can be used for, and how you can better represent your data with maps. No previous experience of spatial data is required.
The fee per teaching day is:
• £30 per day for UK/EU registered students
• £60 per day for staff at UK/EU academic institutions, UK/EU Research Councils researchers, UK/EU public sector staff and staff at UK/EU registered charity organisations and recognised UK/EU research institutions.
• £220 per day for all other participants
All fees include event materials, lunch, morning and afternoon tea. They do not include travel and accommodation costs.
A full refund is available two weeks prior to the course, NO refunds are available after this date.