As a rule, our courses cost £30 a day for UK/EU students and £60 a day for UK/EU academics, researchers or public service staff. Register for the event here.
|In this one day course we will explore how to use R to import, manage and process spatial data. We will also cover the process of making choropleth maps, as well as some basic spatial analysis. Finally, we will cover the use of loops to make multiple maps quickly and easily, one of the major benefits of using a scripting language to make maps, rather than traditional graphic point-and-click interface.
The course covers:
- Using R to import, manage and process spatial data
- Design and creation of choropleth maps
- Basic spatial analysis
- Working with loops in R to create multiple maps
By the end of the course participants will:
- Use R to read in CSV data & spatial data
- Know how to plot spatial data using R
- Join spatial data to attribute data
- Customize colour and classification methods
- Understand how to use loops to make multiple maps
- Know how to reproject spatial data
- Be able to perform point in polygon operations
- Know how to write shapefiles
This course is ideal for anyone who wishes to use spatial data in their role. This includes government & other public sector researchers who have data with some spatial information (e.g. address, postcode, etc.) which they wish to show on a map. This course is also suitable for those who wish to have an overview of what spatial data can be used for. No previous experience of coding is required. Participants would benefit from some experience of using spatial data (eg Google Maps).