Anyone else have children?

SWDTP Student Forum Social Distancing Cohort Support Anyone else have children?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Georgina LewisGeorgina Lewis
    Participant

Hey all, just looking for some other parents to rock in a corner with/obviously love having our children at home all the time whilst we try working 😀

I have a three year old and seven month old.

Send help. Or gin.

How are other parents managing – especially with young children?

Pamela BuchanPamela Buchan
    Participant

Mine are 9 and 11. We’ve reluctantly sent them in today for their final school day so they can see their friends. I don’t mind them being home. It will free up many hours in school journeys and clubs. But I feel surprisingly emotional about it as this might be the end of primary for my eldest and not really going as planned. My husband started working from home on Wednesday. I usually do so no change there.

Participant

Yep! I have a 13 month old. She is usually cared for by grandparents a lot of the week, so we’ve lost a fair bit childcare. Still trying to get to grips with what that means, tbh. Plus she’s teething so no time to work at night either – she wakes up almost every hour…!

Participant

I really feel for kids who are supposed to finish at a school this year. Must be really difficult!

Two here, 6 and 3. I’m not panicking too much as I’m a teacher, so I should be able to manage their work, but I don’t see how I can do any PhD work until after 9 at night. I’m still early on, so lots of reading a writing I’m missing.

Have found gin helps a bit so far haha!

I have a 5 year-old who is okay with doing a bit of reading or writing on his own for 30 minutes at a time. I’m enjoying teaching him a little bit here and there, but the PhD is basically on hold and I don’t know what to do on that front. There’s a little bit of reading I could do, but I’m in a data collection phase and that’s not happening.

Georgina LewisGeorgina Lewis
    Participant

Pamela – gosh yes I can imagine its a really emotional time for all of you. It’s just so uncertain at the moment isn’t it 🙁

Rhiannon – Oh my word I hear you on this. 7 month old teething at the moment, 3 year old wants my undivided attention, I’m exhausted… have you found anything to help?

Tom – sounds like we have the same work shift now haha. I’m definitely going to go through far too much gin and indian takeaway these next few months

Mike – I’m trying not to let my anxiety get on top of me but I’m feeling like there’s no realistic way I can keep up with the work pace I should be doing. Unsure how we address that… let me know if you find or think of anything!

Good luck to you all….we got this!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.