PhD Researcher in Education (ESRC +3)
Graduate School of Education, University of Exeter
Start date: September 2017
Research topic: Exploration into the interpretation and implementation on the current values education agenda (fundamental British values) in schools in England (working title)
Since 2014 all school in England are required to actively promote ‘fundamental British values’ in line with the Counter-terrorism and Security Act and Ofsted inspections. Previous research highlights that the introduction of these “values” has led uncertainty and uneasiness about how they might be actively promoted.
My research will take a bricolage approach and will:
- Critically examine the values education discourse in its relation to delivering character and moral education in schools in England.
- Apply Goodlad’s Curriculum framework and empirically explore how schools interpret and implement ‘fundamental British values’.
- Apply a critical lens to the current values education agenda to highlight the complexity in enacting values in school system and the implications with Ofsted Inspections.
Research supervisors: Professor Rob Freathy , Dr Deborah Osberg
Professional memberships/Positions held:
- Equality Officer for the National Association of Schoolmasters and Woman Teachers
- Graduate Teaching Assistant