*SWDTP studentship applications for 2024 entry is now closed*
In order to receive ESRC studentship funding, you must have qualifications/experience equal to the standard of a good honours degree at first or upper second class level from a UK academic research organisation.
Degree qualifications gained from outside the UK, or a combination of qualifications and/or experience that is equivalent to a relevant UK degree, might be accepted in some cases.
From academic year 2021/22, both home students and international students are eligible to apply to UKRI for a full award (both stipend and fees at the Research Organisation’s UK rate). No new fees only awards will be allocated from the 2021/22 academic year.
These changes came into effect from 01 August 2021. Residential eligibility criteria does not change for students who commenced their studies before that date.
The terms for application for home students and international students are different.
To be classed as a home student, candidates must meet the following criteria:
• Be a UK National (meeting residency requirements), or
• Have settled status or,
• Have pre-settled status (meeting residency requirements) or,
• Have indefinite leave to remain or enter .
If a applicant does not meet the criteria above, they would be classed as an International student.
Both Home and International students must be resident in the UK for the majority of their studies.
Up to 30% of our studentships are available for international students.
The full award does not cover the difference between the UK rate and the international fees set by universities. Whilst we anticipate that the difference between the UK rate and the international fee will be waived by our partner institutions at no cost to international students, we recommend that you seek confirmation from the institution to which you are applying, that this will be the case. The SWDTP is not liable for and is unable to pay the difference should it arise.
The UKRI fees and stipend rates for academic year 2023/2024 are
Fees: £4,712, Stipend: £18,622
Further information for prospective international applicants
As an international applicant and student, there are a number of aspects of which you will need to be aware and consider when making your application.
- International students must ensure that they comply with the specific requirements of their visa.
- There is no additional funding for travel costs to the UK.
- There is no additional funding available to cover NHS Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) costs. Please note that if you are on a 1+3 studentship, you should consider that the IHS is paid for each visa application. You can calculate the costs here Visa fees – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- If you are accepting a studentship offer, please ensure that you commence the visa process in plenty of time. The institution at which you will be registered are able to offer advice and guidance on the process.
- The ESRC does not provide any funds to cover visa costs. Note that if you undertake a Masters prior to the PhD, you will need one visa for the Masters year and then apply for a second visa, including any additional costs, for the PhD. You will require two offer letters from your home institution – one for the Masters and one for the PhD. For those undertaking the Masters, check with your institution the procedures involved to “transit” from year 1 (Masters) to years +3 (PhD), including re-applying for a visa. Your home institution is your legal visa sponsor and they may ask you to complete the Right-to-Study check before the academic years begins.
- If you are undertaking the Masters, you will not be able to bring any family members with you to the UK for the duration of this programme.
- Please be aware that accommodation costs in the UK can be high and the rental market is tight. Once you are registered, your home institution can advise on finding accommodation.
- It is important to consider that you might be asked for a Right-to-Rent check, and you might need your visa for this. Therefore, ensure that you apply for a visa in plenty of time.
Bath Spa : International – Bath Spa University
Bournemouth : International students | Bournemouth University
Plymouth Marjon : International students | Plymouth Marjon University