Are you eligible for ESRC studentship funding?

** Follow the application procedures of the institution at which you wish to be based**

In order to receive ESRC studentship funding you must have qualifications/experience equal to the standard of a good honours degree at first or upper second class level from a UK academic research organisation.

Degree qualifications gained from outside the UK, or a combination of qualifications and/or experience that is equivalent to a relevant UK degree, may be accepted.

To be eligible for a full award (stipend and fees), you must meet all three of the following requirements:

This means that  there are no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK.

This means you must have been normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences).

This does not apply to UK and EU nationals who were ordinarily resident in the EU immediately before the period of full-time education.


To be eligible for a fees only award:

This means you must have been normally residing in an EU member state (apart from temporary or occasional absences).


The ESRC, have relaxed the residential rules for international students in Economics and Advanced Quantitative Methods.  This may allow one student in each of these pathways without prior residency in the UK, to be eligible for a full fee and stipend award.

The full ESRC guidelines are available in the Postgraduate Funding Guide.