Post doc applications for October 2023 entry are now closed.
The ESRC invites applications for postdoctoral fellowships (PDF) to be based at the SWDTP institutions of University of Bath, University of Bristol, University of Exeter, Plymouth University and University of West of England.
Fellowships are aimed at providing a development opportunity for those in the immediate postdoctoral stage of their career, to provide the opportunity to consolidate their PhD through developing publications, their networks, and their research and professional skills.
The PDF call forms part of ESRC’s strategy to support early career researchers and will be delivered through the national network of Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs) and Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs).
The call is open to applicants who have completed their PhD at a research organisation that is part of a DTP or CDT and aligned to an accredited pathway: https://www.ukri.org/opportunity/esrc-postdoctoral-fellowships/
To be eligible applicants must:
- Have been awarded a PhD or have passed their viva voce with minor amendments by the application deadline of 23rd March 2023 and have been awarded their PhD by the fellowship start date of 1st October 2023.
- Have no more than 12 months active postdoctoral experience since passing their viva voce (allowing for career breaks) by 23rd March 2023. The period of active post-doctoral experience should be calculated from the viva voce being passed to the closing date of 23rd March 2023.
We are aware that industrial action by UCU may disrupt preparation of applications. Please note:
- the requirement to have completed your viva before the deadline of 23 March still applies.
- the case for support must be submitted by the deadline of 23 March. Any applications received after this date, will not be eligible.
- supporting documents may follow later but must be received by us no later than 6 April.
Please see the Call Specification and Frequently Asked Questions documents (links below) that support this call for further information on eligibility.
Postdoctoral Fellowships operate under ESRC Research Funding rules and therefore applicants can come from anywhere in the world and, subject to meeting the scheme eligibility criteria, can be considered for these awards.
Key documents relating to the call and application can be found below
ESRC PDF call specification 2023 entry (download)
ESRC PDF FAQs for 2023 entry (download)
PDF application form for 2023 entry (download)
All applicants must submit a completed proposal along with the required attachments in one collated PDF document by 16.00 on 23rd March 2023 to the SWDTP at email@example.com
Applicants are also asked to submit an Equal Opportunity PDF Data Form separately to the application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: this is held confidentially and collected for statistical reporting to the ESRC only.
The SWDTP will peer review the proposals and make funding decisions on behalf of ESRC by 26th June 2023.
For queries related to the call, please e-mail email@example.com
Further information from the ESRC regarding early career researchers can be found here: Early career researchers – UKRI
Application & Institution Specific Guidance
*NOTE: This section will be updated shortly for 2023 entry*
Deadline for expressions of interest (EOI) to Bath | 1 February 2023 | 16:00
- Proposals are welcome from both single disciplines and combinations of disciplines but the fellowship activities must be based at least 50% within the social sciences.
- Please email an expression of interest (EOI) – to include a short paragraph with the basic premise of the work and to identify the pathway and potential mentor – to Dr Aurelie Charles firstname.lastname@example.org, to whom all queries may also be sent.
- The EOI stage will help us to identify all potential applicants and ensure that the correct support is put in place to help candidates and departments to develop a full application.
Support for PDF bids submitted through University of Bristol
- Due to the anticipated volume of interest in this call, it is envisaged that respective UoB Schools and mentors (which are mandatory for all ESRC PDFs) will provide most of the detailed bid support for applicants submitting through Bristol.
- The Research Development Associates in RED (Laura Lyddon/Sarah Halliwell) email@example.com can provide general application advice, where they have capacity to do so.
- All bids will require a WorkTribe costing; bidders are therefore advised to contact the relevant costing specialist in the finance team in good time for assistance with budget preparation; your mentor can advise you on who to contact from the finance team.
Deadline for expressions of interest (EOI) to Exeter | 03 February 2023 | 12:00
- Proposals are welcome from both single disciplines and combinations of disciplines but fellowship activities must be at least 50% within the social sciences.
- There will be an information session on Friday 20th January at 2pm. Please email HASS-ResearchCluster@exeter.ac.uk in order to receive an invite to the session.
- Please email completed expression of interest form (EOI) to HASS-ResearchCluster@exeter.ac.uk, to whom all queries may also be sent. These will be considered by Professors Dan Stephenson and Gareth Shaw, Chair and Deputy Chair of the Exeter ESRC Funder Advisory Network.
- The EOI stage will help us to identify all candidates and ensure that the correct support is put in place to help candidates and departments to develop a full application. All successful candidates will be notified, with feedback, by 13 February.
If you are interested in applying for a Post Doctoral Fellowship at the University of Plymouth, please contact Dr Patricia Kanngiesser firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in applying for a Post Doctoral Fellowship at the University of the West of England, please contact Professor Neil Willey email@example.com